Tips to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Your Home

Tips to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Your Home

Carbon Monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas that silently kills many homeowners every year. You and your family’s health might be at risk without knowing it. It is advised to schedule your A/C service in Chambersburg, PA regularly to know if your unit is the cause of the problem. 

In the meantime, check out these tips to prevent CO poisoning in your home.

Sources of Carbon Monoxide (CO)

This highly airborne contaminant can get into your home or workspace through your HVAC system that is not working properly or not maintained regularly. Without professional A/C service in Chambersburg, PA, the poisonous gas may leak into the air, leaving you breathing toxic gas unknowingly.

Other sources can be found from charcoal grills, cigarette and pipe smoking, portable generators, automobiles, and furnaces. Carbon monoxide is produced by combustion of fumes with carbon, so if you often use these appliances or engage in activities that can activate CO, it may lead to severe health problems.

 Symptoms of CO Poisoning

Once you inhaled this poisonous gas, it deprives your heart and body of the oxygen it needs to function. Thus, you will start to feel dizzy, weak, and lose your consciousness. It can also kill you within minutes in high concentrations. Other symptoms may vary depending on the amount of CO you have breathed in.

At low levels, you may experience stomach discomfort, chest tightness, and confusion. Medical experts also said that other symptoms are very similar to a person affected by flu and other common illnesses.

 Tips to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

To protect your home and reduce your family’s exposure to CO leakage, take these safety tips below:

  • Schedule an A/C service in Chambersburg, PA. Have your unit inspected, cleaned, and serviced regularly by qualified technicians.
  • Use charcoal grills and portable generators at least 20 feet away from home.
  • Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Make sure to place it in every room and replace the battery regularly.
  • Make sure your home and working space are well ventilated. Keep the vents clear from dirt, dust, or other debris.
  • Do not leave your cars or automobiles running in the garage. Get it serviced every year.
  • When using products that contain methylene chloride, make sure to wear a mask. This chemical is usually present in hairspray, household disinfectants, air fresheners, and paint-related products.
  • Be careful in using wood-burning stoves. It is best to use with EPA approved.
  • More importantly, consult a doctor if in any case you get exposed to CO poisoning or experiencing the symptoms we just mentioned.

If you think your HVAC system is putting you and your family’s health at risk, talk to us at Johnston’s Heating & Cooling, LLC and we’ll provide quality A/C service in Chambersburg, PA.

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest

Have a Question?

Let us know how we can help